First, I’d like to mention that I’m having a terrible time getting envelopes. I live in a VERY rural town where the people aren’t really literate and there isn’t a thriving interest in pen-pal relationships, and there isn’t a post office in village and since somewhere along the line someone messed up and we don’t have bikes yet, we’re kind of stuck here. Especially since I think the closest town is only a few miles away, but my host family laughed uproariously at the idea that I would walk there, so I decided to trust them over me. Of course, who knows what they were actaully laughing at – I could easily just have had rice on my face. Or even without that, just the way I look ordinarily is apparently pretty hilarious. Discussion lately has centered around my freckles. Which are growing. I am starting to look like Mr. Needham here. And which are somehow associated in the Malian mind with flies. I’m a little confused as to the connection.
sweet & sloppy saul kisses
14 years ago
3 comments:
I'll send envelopes in the next box. That said - it could be a couple of months before you get them! Mom
Hey Kelly, I just went through the blogs since mid-July and what came to mind immediately was that quotation from Twilight of the Idols by that great classicist Friedrich Nietzsche: 'What does not kill me, makes me stronger.' I believe THIS is the real purpose of the Peace Core--that and teaching young Americans to stop complaining, they don't know how good they have it.
Too bad about Timbuktu; I was waiting for you to turn up an Aristotle Palimpsest, perhaps Poetics II!
Hang tough, kiddo, this is going to make a great book, maybe a NYT best seller.
Hey Kelly loved the comment about looking like Mr. Needham. Hope the food improves when you get to Kali but i'm sure you can come up with something to do with the peanuts. We'll be in touch.
Heide and Rob
Post a Comment